Happy New Year! I have to admit I love the blank slate that the new year brings. Even though January 1st is just another day, it always seems like the perfect time to start (what you hope will become) new habits or begin working towards a big goal.
I don't think I made any resolutions last year. After all, I had a 3-week-old! I think maybe my goal was to start working from home again, which was kind of a non-goal since I was 99% sure that would happen at some point. Being in a completely different place this year, I allowed myself the luxury of scheming up a list of things I'd like to accomplish this year. A few are family-related, and some are things I'd like to work on for or with E., so I thought I would share them here.
- Family dinners on Sundays: For a variety of reasons, we don't get many chances to eat together as a family. I think this will get easier as E gets older and has a later bedtime, but for right now I'd like to make a real effort to have a real family meal (i.e., we're all eating the same thing, at the same table) on Sunday afternoons when we are all generally home together.
- Sew stuff for E: My list of sewing projects I'd like to tackle includes a quiet book, a stuffed felt alphabet (already in progress), a pair of PJs, and one outfit (specific pattern not yet determined, but I have several Oliver & S patterns in E's size and they are all adorable).
- Tot School: I mentioned this in another post but I love the idea of doing Tot School for E. My initial plan is for us to go through the alphabet week by week, and do a handful of activities based on the letter. Obviously this is more for my benefit than for his.
- Space to play: I'd like to create a playroom upstairs for E (right now we have a bunch of exercise equipment in the space), and also create a space (most likely a child's size table and chairs) for him to work in my office with me.
- Memory keeping: I've been doing a decent job of getting our photos and home movies off the camera, saved in the cloud, and prints ordered each month, and lately I've even been making progress with actually scrapbooking them! This is huge. I'd like to continue that into 2015, as well as finish a project I started before E was born (digitizing the home movies my parents made). I'd also like to do a Week in the Life album again, and maybe attempt December Daily.
- Reading: E is completely obsessed with books. I swear I didn't force them on him! We always read at bedtime, but I'd like for us to read more during the day, and to try some new titles, too.
If you have any thing you're hoping to make happen this year with your family, I want to here about in the comments!