It's been a long time since I shared a monthly goals post (October 2013! I was putting a nursery together! It feels like a million years ago!). But it seemed like a good time to jump back into the practice. I've got several larger projects in the works right now and it's always helpful to break them down into smaller chunks.
- Letters B and C tot school with E. It's been awhile since we did Letter A. Truthfully, I may have underestimated the amount of time it takes to pull meaningful activities together each week. It seems like a silly thing to beat myself up about, though, so I'm just going to roll with the punches.
- Tackle my to-be-read pile. There's a mountain of unread books and magazines in my bedroom and on my e-reader. I don't want to add anything new to the pile until I've made a decent dent in what I already have.
- Attend at least one day of the Texas Library Association's annual conference. I worked in a public library for 5 years before becoming self-employed and there are days when I really miss the library world. For someone who loves books and information, there's really nothing like being surrounded by it all day. TLA's conference is being held in Austin this year, so I'm going to take advantage of that and at least scope out the exhibits. I'd love to see what books are on the horizon. The conference is during the week, though, so I still need to figure out childcare for E.
- Finish the floor in my new office. We have a small office at the front of our house and I've been itching to claim it as my workspace. Currently my craft room and desk are upstairs, and it's just not a functional set-up for me anymore. I planned a very small reno project: painting the walls a bright white, ripping up the carpet and sealing the concrete underneath. As with most home improvement projects, things didn't go exactly according to plan. Painting took much longer than I anticipated, and when we ripped up the carpet, the concrete wasn't as "clean" as I was hoping it would be. Now we're thinking we might install laminate in that room instead of sealing the concrete. Anyway, I really, really want to get into my new workspace, so we need to get the floor finished so that can become a possibility.
- Finish re-reading Indexing Books. If you've been reading this blog for awhile you know that I initially left my public library job to become a freelance book indexer. That never really happened, mostly because I was busy with writing gigs and indexing is a lot more mentally challenging; I did not have the headspace to put a lot of energy working towards that goal during pregnancy and E's first year. But things are different now! So different. I'm re-submerging myself in the indexing world because I know now, more than ever, that this is what I want for my career. So I've been re-reading Indexing Books, which was one of the texts for the indexing course I took.
What are you working on this month?